Tuesday, June 17, 2008

7747 to 8066

There's a Change in the Wind


What a crazy few weeks it has been! The Dominican Republic was a blast, but George Fox University in Newberg Oregon is even better!!! In Santo Domingo, team USA placed 1st 3rd and 6th at the Pan America Cup. Chris Helwick won at 7800 and i placed third with a 7747. The trip overall was a total blast and such a good experience for me. I really felt like i competed well but had a few events where i struggled because of lack of competition. Talking with Jack we came to the conclusion that for the first meet of the year 7747 was not a bad score at all. After getting back in the states Jack and I thought that there might be another opportunity to do a decathlon at George Fox University as a last chance meet because i was pretty low on the USA list. After the first day of competition we realized that i should just keep it going and see if i could break 8000 which would put me higher on the list and give me the 'A' Standard. With one event to go it came down to running a sub 5:00 min to break the barrier, wow, i never thought i would be in that position. When all was said and done a 4:46 gave me 8066 for a decathlon PR! Its crazy how much has changed within the past few days.


So i am back in San Luis now resting and training in preparation for the trials at the end of this month. Its crazy to think of how much my life has changed in the past 4 months, and as i look forward to the trials i think of all the people who have helped me get here. From my father to my friends, coaches, and fellow athletes, i would never be in the position i am now without their support and prayers. I thank you all for everything you have done, i would not be here with out you! I will put a post up after the trials to let you all know how i did and i look forward to seeing some of you there!
Of course, me and Jack celebrated in style: by drinking his fathers day gift - Beers of the World!!!

It looks like it got out of hand.... but don't worry we were able to control ourselves.....

Olympic Trials Here We Come!

4 comments:

TerraDactyl's Mom said...

Awesome job in the DR and at George Fox! I can't wait to come watch you in Eugene!!! I'm so pumped, I can't even imagine how you must feel! Rock on!!
--Allie

Grant, Amy, and Caleb said...

Hey Chris,
Its Amy Ludwick (Harris...)

Big Allie and I just got our tickets to come watch you at the Olympic Trials in Eugene. We can't wait! Keep up the great work!!!

John Smith said...

Hi Chris,
It was awesome having you up here at the GFU Decathlon. I clipped out a big article the local paper did on you...if you would like me to send it, just send me your address at jsmith@georgefox.edu. I'm excited to watch the comp in Eugene! later
john smith, gfu track and field

jhjumper said...

Hey Chris, it was so cool to see you break 8000 at George Fox. I hope you recover well and do awesome at the trials!! Good luck and I'll be praying for you,
Michelle Forbes (gfu track)